Best time to visit Himachal Pradesh: March – June (pleasant season)
For winter vacations: October – February
How to reach:
Airports: Chandigarh/Amritsar/ Delhi/ Jammu
Railway Stations: Delhi/ Amritsar/ Chandigarh/ Jammu Tawai/ Pathankot/ Kalka/ Ambala/ Dehradun
Via Road: The state of Himachal is well connected by road with Delhi, Chandigarh, Dehradun, Ambala and all other towns in Himachal Pradesh.
- The mall in Shimla
- Solang Vlalley, Manali
- Rohtang Pass, Manali
- Namgyal Monastery, Dharamshala
- Khajjar, Dalhousie
- Veg: Mitha Bhat, Sidu, Dham, Aktori, Madra, Tukdiya bhath, Mash Dal
- Non – veg: Khatta meat, Cha Ghost
- Toy train ride from Kalka – Shimla or vice versa
- Paragliding at Solang Valley or Khajjar
- Skiing at Rohtang Pass
- Shopping at The Mall in Shimla/ Manali
- Rugs and carpets
- Kullu shawls, woolen wear
- Apples, jams, pickles
- Silver and turquoise jewellery
- Embroidered clothes
- Dry fruits
- Buddhist paintings
- Carry all your ATM and credit cards, and take care of your ready money also.
- If visiting a temple, it is advised to adhere to the code and conduct of the temple.
- Dispose all litter carefully. Plastic bags are banned in Himachal
- Dispose bio degradable/ non degradable waste properly while you are exploring Himalayas.
- Avoid eating while travelling to a higher altitude to avoid nausea/ vomiting.
- Avoid travelling or driving late in the night due to low visibility and safety issues
- Some monuments may require special permissions for photography or filming.
- Tourists intended to take adventure activities are advised to seek necessary permissions if required
- Vehicular traffic is restricted in certain areas
- Water may freeze in high altitude areas, thus, thermos is recommended
- Keep heavy woollen clothing, rubber soled shoes, gloves, torch, food (energy bars, dry fruits, packaged food etc.), water, some instrument to lit fire (match box/ lighter etc.) handy
- It is highly advised to not stand near the cliff or on the bolder or near the bank of the river or step into the river for photographs etc. since water currents in rivers of Himachal Pradesh are very strong
What to pack:
- For summers, full sleeves t-shirts to sweatshirts should be carried but for winters, heavy woollen clothing is recommended.
- Wind cheaters
- Sun block & moisturizing lotion
- Mineral Water
- Dark polarized Sun glasses with retainers
- Medication as required to get rid of Altitude sickness/ motion sickness
- Natives of Malana, also known as the village of taboo consider themselves the successors of Akexander- the great and choose to remain isolated from the rest of the world. They consider all non-Malanis to be inferior and even untouchable.
- The capital state of Himachal houses a natural ice skating rink!
- There is a mini – Israel in Himachal; Kasol since the maximum tourists visiting this place are of Israeli origin
- On your way to Viceregal Lodge, there is a stretch of old wooden houses known as Yarrows where Muhammad Ali Jinnah once lived
- In a little village called Gue, in Himachal’s Spiti district, lays the remarkably well-preserved 500 year-old mummy of Sangha Tenzing, a Buddhist monk from Tibet
- World’s higest cricket ground is situated in Chail